Interdisciplinary Materials Research Experience for Undergrads (REU)
The University of Delaware MRSEC CHARM Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program provides full-time summer undergraduate research opportunities in innovative materials science and engineering. Participants in our highly collaborative and interdisciplinary program, which focuses on nature-inspired, computationally designed materials and tomorrow’s terahertz technologies, will be fully immersed in the research laboratories of CHARM faculty from the Departments of Materials Science & Engineering, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, and Physics & Astronomy.
Why the CHARM REU?
CHARM REU students can expect to:
- broaden their understanding of how materials research tackles tough design challenges impacting our everyday lives;
- gain skills in computational and/or experimental materials research in a collaborative ecosystem; and,
- cultivate a community of mentorship and professional development opportunities, including what it takes to move an idea from the lab to market and how to position yourself for grad school success.
“… allowed me to build on my current critical thinking skills by training me to apply what I have learned.”
“I definitely feel way more prepared for the graduate school application.”
“…my professionalism and the ability to work well in a group lab greatly increased.”
“Everybody is looking for you to succeed. ”
“… learned so much this summer and formed connections in my group that will stay with me far beyond the REU.”
- Ideally, applicants should be a current sophomore or junior in a STEM program (graduating in 2023 or later)
- Cumulative GPA > 3.0
- US citizen, US national, or permanent resident of the US
- Preference will be given to those candidates who have demonstrated an interest in soft and hard materials through their curriculum choices or extracurricular activities
Our REU offers a mix of experimental and computational opportunities in both soft and hard materials. Descriptions of our 2022 REU research projects are available. This list will be updated through February 15th as new projects are identified.
Application Materials (in PDF format)
- your updated resume
- copy of your current transcript
- application form including preferred research areas
- a short essay (approximately 250 words) describing how undergraduate research with UD CHARM is important to your career goals
- a letter of recommendation sent directly to Dr. Bothi at email@example.com (a research or teaching faculty member is preferred, if possible)
- all materials for external applicants must be submitted by 11:59 pm on February 15th, 2022
Notifications will begin by March 18th if they have been accepted to the 2022 CHARM REU cohort, and will work with our faculty team on advisor and project assignments closer to the start date. Our 2022 program runs from June 6th through August 12th.
COVID-19: What you need to know
Please keep in mind that although we are planning for a fully in-person experience in 2022, we continue to monitor the status of the pandemic. We will be following campus and State of Delaware recommendations to prioritize the health and safety of our participants and local community. Applicants must be prepared to comply with University of Delaware COVID-19 requirements for campus visitors. Thank you for prioritizing public safety alongside us.