*2023 REU applications are now open! Scroll down for application requirements and link.*
Interdisciplinary Materials Research Experience for Undergrads (REU)
At the University of Delaware, CHARM’s Research Experiences for Undergraduates provides full-time, 10-week summer research opportunities in innovative materials science and engineering. Participants in our highly collaborative and interdisciplinary program, which focuses on nature-inspired, computationally designed materials and tomorrow’s terahertz technologies, will be fully immersed in the research laboratories of CHARM faculty from the Departments of Materials Science & Engineering, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, and Physics & Astronomy.
Why the CHARM REU?
CHARM REU students can expect to:
- broaden their understanding of how materials research tackles tough design challenges impacting our everyday lives;
- gain skills in computational and/or experimental materials research in a collaborative ecosystem; and,
- cultivate a community of mentorship and professional development opportunities, including what it takes to move an idea from the lab to market and how to position yourself for grad school success.
“… allowed me to build on my current critical thinking skills by training me to apply what I have learned.”
“I definitely feel way more prepared for the graduate school application.”
“…my professionalism and the ability to work well in a group lab greatly increased.”
“Everybody is looking for you to succeed. ”
“… learned so much this summer and formed connections in my group that will stay with me far beyond the REU.”
*Quotes taken from post-program assessments
Upcoming REU Summer Program: June 5th – August 11th, 2023
Ideal applicants should:
- Be a current sophomore or junior in a STEM program (graduating in 2024 or later)
- Have a cumulative GPA > 3.00
- Be a US citizen, US national, or permanent resident of the US
Preference will be given to those candidates who have demonstrated an interest in soft and hard materials through their curriculum choices or extracurricular activities
Our REU offers a mix of experimental and computational opportunities in both soft and hard materials. Descriptions of our 2023 REU research projects can be viewed here. This list will be updated until the application closes as new projects are identified.
In PDF format, you will need the following materials when filling out our online application:
- Your updated resume or CV
- A copy of your current transcript
- Unofficial transcripts are accepted
- A letter of recommendation sent directly to Program Coordinator, Joseph Madanat at email@example.com
- A research or teaching faculty member is preferred, if possible
- A personal essay (500 word maximum) discussing the following prompts:
- What research areas are you focused on right now? How could they apply to the field of materials science?
- How will spending your summer with CHARM’s REU program help you in your research/academic/career goals?
All materials for external applicants must be submitted by 11:59 pm on February 15th, 2023.
Notifications to students will begin by March 15th if accepted to the 2023 CHARM REU cohort with advisor and project assignment notifications sent closer to the start date. Our 2023 program runs for 10 weeks starting on June 5th.
COVID-19: What you need to know
Please keep in mind that although we are planning for a fully in-person experience in 2023, we continue to monitor the status of the pandemic. We will be following campus and State of Delaware recommendations to prioritize the health and safety of our participants and local community. Applicants must be prepared to comply with University of Delaware COVID-19 requirements for campus visitors. Thank you for prioritizing public safety alongside us.