A 2-picture collage of IRG2 trainee, Angel Gordon. Left picture is a selfie of Angel in the lab, and right picture is an action shot of Angel riding a horse with equestrian outfit and equipment.

Dr. Chitraleema Chakraborty
Assistant Professor
Materials Science & Engineering (Primary)
Physics & Astronomy

Research Focus: Quantum Materials mainly focused on optical properties and devices

Interview submitted in Summer 2024.

CHARM Interviewer (CI): Tell us about your general background.

Dr. Chitraleema Chakraborty (CC): I grew up in the suburbs of Kolkata located in West Bengal, India. I received my PhD from the University of Rochester.

CI: What made you choose academic research? Why choose the University of Delaware?

D.CC: Academia allows me to work in an environment that values intellectual freedom, collaboration, and to mentor future scholars, which are deeply important to me. The opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration at the University of Delaware was very exciting to me, especially the potential to work with faculty across departments through centers like CHARM MRSEC on innovative projects that could lead to significant advancements in the field of quantum materials. Additionally, I was particularly drawn to the collegiality of the department. The supportive and collaborative atmosphere here fosters an environment where I believe I can thrive both personally and professionally.

CI: Was there a faculty member from your undergraduate/graduate experience that inspired you, and how?

D.CC: Yes, Professor Mandar Deshmukh was a significant source of inspiration for me during my graduate studies. He was an incredibly dynamic and persevering person, and his perseverance truly inspired me to push myself harder. His unwavering commitment to his research and students under all circumstances left a lasting impression on me and motivated me to pursue a PhD after my experience at his group.

CI: How do you approach collaborations within your work?

D.CC: Depending on the project, I’m comfortable taking on a leadership role or working as part of a team. When leading, I strive to guide the team toward our shared goals while remaining open to input and feedback. When collaborating as a team member, I’m supportive and proactive in contributing my expertise. For example, in a recent project within IGR2 subgroup, I worked with a multidisciplinary team where we had to integrate different methodologies. By facilitating regular meetings and ensuring open communication, we were able to merge our approaches successfully, leading to a publication that reflected the strengths of each discipline.

CI: How do you handle hitting a wall or encountering obstacles in your research?

D.CC: I consider hitting a wall is the best thing that can happen in research. Especially as a graduate student, it was an integral part of the process for me that often lead to deeper insights and better solutions. It encouraged me to keep an open mind for learning new methods or revisit old ideas to see if they can be applied in a new way and even encouraged new collaborations.

CI: How do you approach intellectual property and tech transfer in your work?

D.CC: My approach to intellectual property and tech transfer has been significantly shaped by my experience at the University of Delaware, particularly through the CHARM centers endeavors. The tech transfer office here helped expand my awareness of the importance of IP management and the various strategies for protecting and commercializing research outcomes. By working closely with tech transfer professionals there, I gained a deeper understanding of how to identify potential IP early in the research process and navigate the complexities of commercialization. 

CI: Outside of work and research, how do you like to spend your time (i.e., hobbies)?

D.CC: Outside of work and research, I enjoy a range of activities that keep me engaged and balanced. I love hiking, which is my favorite pastime as it allows me to connect with nature and unwind. The time I spend hiking allows me to clear my mind and gain new perspectives, which often leads to creative problem-solving and fresh ideas when I return to my work. The mental clarity and rejuvenation I experience on the trails help me approach research challenges with renewed focus and innovation. I also enjoy playing with my dogs, experimenting with different musical instruments, and gardening. Although it can be challenging to fit all these activities into my schedule, I make an effort to stay connected with each of them.

CI: What is the most valuable piece of advice you received when you were just getting started in science?

D.CC: One of the most valuable advice was to embrace failure as a learning opportunity rather than a setback. They emphasized that every experiment that doesn’t go as planned is a chance to gain insights and improve. We were able to refine our approach and ultimately achieve a breakthrough even as a second year graduate student that led to one of the most important discoveries in my career.