A 2-picture collage of IRG2 trainee, Angel Gordon. Left picture is a selfie of Angel in the lab, and right picture is an action shot of Angel riding a horse with equestrian outfit and equipment.

Joshua Meisenhelter
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Advised by Christopher Kloxin

Interview submitted in Spring 2024.

CHARM Interviewer (CI): Where did you grow up and go to school for your undergraduate degree?

Josh Meisenhelter (JM): I grew up in York, PA and I got my degree in Chemical Engineering at Penn State University.

CI: What got you interested in materials science?

JM: My interest in materials science came from learning about the broad potential of properties that can be introduced into material systems through small chemical modifications.

CI: In technical language, what is the research you do here at CHARM?

JM: My work focuses on the synthesis, modification, and characterization of new coiled-coil forming peptides to be used as building blocks for hierarchical materials.

CI: What is a skill you would like to build on while being a part of CHARM?

JM: I have appreciated the opportunity to develop leadership and mentorship skills through CHARM. I have been able to build these skills by taking part as a mentor in the REU program through CHARM.

CI: Tell us about your career goals and aspirations.

JM: After graduation I plan to work as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry.

CI: Are there any other student/campus organizations you belong to?

JM: During my time at UD I have taken part in volunteer efforts through algebra tutoring at a local middle school.

CI: What do you enjoy doing on your downtime outside of the lab?

JM: I find balance by spending time with friends and finding time to exercise.

CI: What advice would you give to undergraduate students and first-year graduate students?

JM: I would recommend that an undergraduate student gets research experience as soon as possible through their institution, or REU programs, and consider research in multiple fields to find the field of research that fits best for them.

I would advise to first-year graduate students consider a variety of research options and advising styles even if they already know exactly what they want in an advisor.